Certification Classes and Continuing Education
October 17, 2018 11am-1pm
AGC Basement Classroom
686 Mariposa Street
Denver, CO 80204
Provider: LATICRETE International Inc. (J-037)
Program #: AIA-20 Credits: AIA HSW SD Length: 60 - 90 Minutes
Description: Have you ever heard this argument during design development “We will use the X system because that is the way we have always built it”? In many cases this methodology of design protects the firm from inherent liabilities by using systems that are tried and true. Sometimes, however when innovative new building products, systems or technologies are integrated with old installation practices and the results can actually be increased liability for a firm. This issue can be further compounded with the challenges of building more energy efficient, light weight structures. This CEU will focus on new installation methods, substrates and waterproofing options for the “thin is in” Adhered Masonry Veneer (Thin Brick, Manufactured Stone and Thin Natural Stone) exterior façade finishes. Standards development and code compliance will be discussed. Legislation for improved energy efficiency and the effects on core and shell design will be presented. A case study overview will be presented between materials used and costs for a traditional masonry construction versus a thin adhered lightweight veneer structure. Attendees will gain an overall understanding of some of the new building envelope construction methods and will develop a better understanding of the influence of energy efficient design on construction trends.
At the end of the program, the participant will be able to:
- Understand the design principles and products related to thin adhered masonry veneer.
- Compare and contrast the traditional versus new technology installation systems to adhere thin veneer products to the exterior façade of a building.
- Review standards development and code compliance for adhered masonry veneers.
- Develop a better understanding of how the green trend is affecting core and shell design, and the future requirements for incorporating energy efficiency into structures.
- Analyze the cost comparison between traditional methods and new technology installation methods for adhered masonry veneers.
A highly visual powerpoint presentation that incorporates photo images, and computer animation will be used. There will be a questions and answer period at the end of the program, however, the program is designed to be interactive and questions are encouraged throughout as well.
Architect, Engineers, Specifiers, Owners and other Design Professionals in the commercial, residential and industrial markets.
This course will provide 1.0 credits in the Masonry Products Category of the RMMI Certification Program.
Click here to register!
RMMI Online Learning-Course Offerings include:
- Stone Part 1: Thin Veneers
- Stone Part 2: Cast Stone
- Protecting Masonry from Water Intrusion and Graffiti
Click here to create an account and access course recordings. Take these courses on your own time at your own pace!